“Art has to propose some kind of challenge,” said Shrigley before the show, when a sprinkling of hor d'oeuvres and wine were served to an intimate crowd. “It wouldn’t be art otherwise.”
Five things (you may not know) about David Shrigley
There are way too many words to describe David Shrigley, perhaps the best for now is marvellous. Much more than a marvellous contemporary artist though, David is actually an alien. Well not really, but now that we have your attention we would like to share five things you may not know about David Shrigley, or D.Shrig as we like to call him.
But first, an alien related drawing.
1. As part of New York Art Week, David Shrigley recently made instruments for a jam session titled "Problem in New York", featuring Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth and Brian Chase of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
2. Two people who make David laugh out oud? Andy Knowles & Harry Hill.
3. He has a dog. Called Inka. Inka sleeps in the bed with him and his wife. He's a dog person (yay)
Photo from David Shrigley's twitter page.
4. When he first left art school, realising as he sat in his shared flat that he could say what he wanted on a sheet of paper, he made a book out of Xirox paper and sold it at the pub for £3.50.
5. He has been collaborating with us, Third Drawer Down , for TEN YEARS!
We feel honoured and blessed and extremely excited to continue making magic with David. His ideas always exceed our wild imaginations. It's always very, very fun when a David collection is brewing!
And we are brewing.
Stay tuned for our new David Shrigley collection landing in May. There may be a certain inflatable swan thing returning...