“Art has to propose some kind of challenge,” said Shrigley before the show, “It wouldn’t be art otherwise.”
Five things (you may not know) about David Shrigley
There are way too many words to describe David Shrigley, perhaps the best, for now, is marvellous. Much more than a marvellous contemporary artist though, David is actually an alien. Well not really, but now that we have your attention we would like to share five things you may not know about David Shrigley, or D.Shrig as we like to call him in our collaborations.
But first, an alien related drawing.
1. As part of New York Art Week, David Shrigley recently made instruments for a jam session titled "Problem in New York", featuring Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth and Brian Chase of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. That is brilliant right?
2. Two people who make David laugh out loud? Andy Knowles & Harry Hill. Google them.
3. He has a dog. Called Inka. Inka sleeps in the bed with him and his wife. He's a dog person (yay)
Photo from David Shrigley's twitter page. Yes, that thing is real.
4. When he first left art school, realising as he sat in his shared flat, that he could say what he whatever he wanted on a sheet of paper, he made a book out of Xerox paper and sold it at the pub for £3.50. On a scale of one to ten, how badly do you wish you were at that pub.
5. He has been collaborating with us, Third Drawer Down, for TEN YEARS! That's right, we have been bringing David's amazing work to your every day for ten years, and there ain't no stopping us now.
We feel honoured and blessed and extremely excited to continue making magic with David. His ideas always exceed our wild imaginations. It's always very, very fun when a David collection is brewing!
And we are brewing.
Stay tuned for our new David Shrigley collection landing in May. There may be a certain inflatable swan thing returning...